your screen has what is called "resolution"
go to the start button..
then Settings
Control Panal
there are a number of icon in the Control Panel, Find Display

There will be several tabs on the top of the window (i don't have W2K at home, and the "names" on the tabs are slightly different.. but one (last or next to last) will be settings.

the Screen setting will be on the right (color settings will be on the left) Nowdays, most lap tops are set by default to 1024 X 7XX ( i forget and i'm not stopping to look it up) you can move the little counter and lower the setting-- everything will appear to get bigger.. or you can raise the setting, and everything will appear to get smaller.. 680 X 4XX is the largest (and used by legal blind users at work) 800 x680 is "old" standard (from Dos and windows 3.1) -- you can always change your settings...

i keep mine at 1024 X 800 or so..

These setting are why sometimes someone makes a post that seems to make the screen "go wide" depending on your settings, it what makes your screen "go wide" might not make mine "go wide"

there are several other setting you can change.. have a care.. i taught a class and some one went wild... and ended up with white text on a white page (in the setting page, and we could no longer see the menus!)