Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#75788 07/10/02 10:00 PM
B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
I'm extremely satisfied with the answers:-\ No way, it sounds dumb.
Of course, Ted is spot on about 'very' and 'completely' not being interchangeable, for it's obvious they mean something different.
The point I wanted to make, is that it doesn't seem right to say 'very satisfied', because the meaning of 'to satisfy' is to fulfil all your needs, but nothing more. That's why people say I was more than satisfied. 'Very' intensifies hot because hot is an open ended scale, but things either conform to your requirements/needs/wants or they don't. Either some, most, or all are fulfilled. It seems a bit like saying it is 'very mild' - though it's not really. But no one would say that goal is 'very accomplished', or my needs were 'very met', or my hopes were 'very realised'. Are those examples not similar? Oh, well. I'm glad Shona understands me!

#75789 07/11/02 03:26 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
'Very' intensifies hot because hot is an open ended scale, but things either conform to your requirements/needs/wants or they don't.

hey by, that was just the point I was going to make. Isn't "satisfied" an absolute? Either you are or you aren't (satisfied, I mean). It's like saying someone is a little bit pregnant, or another someone is very dead, or that something is extremely unique.

Let us go in peace to love and serve the board.

#75790 07/11/02 06:22 AM
old hand
old hand
Although the subject has now been exhaustively treated by our experts, let me contribute the modest remark that, like most translations, satisfied is not completely congruent to zufrieden. The German word is not derived from a participle, and it has more of that "open-ended" property. So "sehr zufrieden" goes down without effort, while "very satisfied" makes me think of a letter of recommendation by a grumpy ex-boss.

#75791 07/11/02 08:26 AM
F
veteran
veteran
F
"very satisfied" makes me think of a letter of recommendation by a grumpy ex-boss

Perfect, wsieb. No way could I have put it better (and I haven't ) !

Oh, and much respect to BY & MG, as you two also managed to put my vague feeling that something was rotten in the state of Denmark into words.

I hereby (re)turn my coat and retract my acceptance of "very satisfied". [stubborn-e]

#75792 07/11/02 09:01 AM
R
addict
addict
R
The point I wanted to make, is that it doesn't seem right to say 'very satisfied', because the meaning of 'to satisfy' is to fulfil all your needs,
but nothing more.

Yes, but you can be half satisfied thereby implying that you are only half way to fulfilling your needs.

So there are increasing levels of satisfaction but none that exceed the highest level of satisfaction and more than satisfied is just a turn of phrase.

#75793 07/11/02 09:08 AM
R
addict
addict
R
Isn't "satisfied" an absolute? Either you are or you aren't (satisfied, I mean).

I don't think so, MG. As I pointed out in the above post you can have different levels of satisfaction you just can't exceed the highest level so satisfcation is not an absolute - it's a measure.

It's like saying someone is a little bit pregnant, or another someone is very dead, or that something is extremely unique.

Again, I think pregnancy has different stages (heavily pregnant etc.) therefore it can be a measure similarly you can be half-dead or near-death without being dead. they're not scientific measures but we all know what they mean when we read them.

On the other hand, unique is definitely an absolute.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,423
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,136 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,593
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith