On the chance that somebody here really does like math and understands mathematical terms well, I have a question about three of those terms.

In a nutshell, what is the difference between average, mean and median? Why would you use one over the other--in other words, why would you use an average over the mean?

If this is too complicated to discuss here, even though it's basic math, just ignore this thread altogether.

Also, I think I've got the three terms right, but, if I represented them not quite-on-target, just modify them. I just remember learning about average, mean, and median. It could have been average, mean and mode, but I don't think so...

Average, of course, was easy. Just a sum and then division. Good for making estimates for future predictions. Say, take a bunch of good recipes, compare ingredients, and devise a new recipe based on averages. That kind of thing. Or certainly grades in a grade book to find average grade.

But the other two--mean and median (if that's the term; could be mean and mode?)--I don't use them and suspect I probably should.

Anyway, please forgive if this is just to un-word-related.

Best regards,
WW