I believe the longbow had a much greater range, as well.
Battle of Agincourt, I think? Our Welsh scholar may be much better positioned to speak than I.

http://www.archers.org/longbow.htm focuses on the longbow as a major breakthough [pun unavoidable] in military science.

Its social effects were, however, even more far-reaching [pun unavoidable]. The immense power of the longbow made it very difficult to use, and required "training at a very early age, traditionally at the age of seven." Thus the bowman -- now just his bow -- was a valuable military asset, to be protected and rewarded. For the first time, commoners had value as individuals.

---------
Another site indicates that the longbow is the source of our V-for-Victory gesture and for "crossed fingers":

The longbows were drawn using the first and second fingers of the right hand. And so feared were the English Longbowmen that, when captured, the French would cut those two fingers off to render the bowman useless should he escape.

When the English archers held up those fingers upright and apart to taunt the French before a battle they were actually saying "See! I still have them!" and the "V" sign rapidly became a very insulting gesture..

On the other hand, the "crossed fingers" was a sign of hope and good luck exchanged between Englishmen before a battle, meaning that these fingers and, therefore, they themselves would survive.