Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#51237 12/30/01 10:49 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
OK. This has to do more with chemistry than words, but the words I quote below have bothered me now for one whole day and I need some help here, so, if you understand chemistry or related areas, I will be very appreciative for some explanation.

I read:

Using dry ice to displace oxygen from food storage containers is a very straightforward affair. To prevent leaching plastic chemicals from the container into your food over a long period of time I recommend lining the bucket with a food grade plastic, mylar or brown paper bag before filling the bucket with your product. Be sure to wipe any accumulated frost off of the ice and wrap it in a paper towel or something similar so you don't burn anything that comes into contact with it. Put the dry ice at the bottom and fill the container. Shake or vibrate it to get as much density in the packing as possible and to exclude as much air as you can. Put the lid on, but do not fully seal it. You want air to be able to escape.

Here's my confusion over the above linearity, which loses me just about every, single time. You're putting food into some kind of container, right? You're lining that container, say, with mylar, as suggested, right? That's to keep the plastic from leaching into the food. That makes sense. But why do you wipe the accumlated frost off the dry ice? What big deal difference would it make to have a little bit of carbon dioxide frost on the dry ice? You're going to wrap the dry ice in a paper towel anyway, so what's the deal about wiping it off?

I know this doesn't have to do with any particular word, so I hope you won't mind my bringing this up, but I am very puzzled over these directions above.

Thanks for any help here over this frosty query,
LabDuba most dangerous proposition

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What big deal difference would it make to have a little bit of carbon dioxide frost on the dry ice?

Parbly wouln't make a difference if it were carbon dioxide frost. Onliest thang it's parbly dihydrogen monoxide frost an that stuff's deadly.

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
So, if it's the parbly dihydrogen monoxide frost (read, "deadly") that's the problem, why wouldn't the paper towel (or something stronger) solve that problem?

And, while we're at it, if you spray carbon dioxide out of a cylinder across a table top, does it really roll across the plane and then fall off the table like a waterfall? Is this true, as my daughter's boyfriend told her last night, or is this a case of a teenage boy trying to pull the wool (waterfall) over a gullible girl's eyes?

Best regards,
DoubtingDub

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
if you spray carbon dioxide out of a cylinder across a table top, does it really roll across the plane and then fall off the table like a waterfall?

Try it sometime and see for yourself.

Ya gots ta get up perty early in the afternoon to pull my wool over the ice.

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Faldage,

I do not have any cylinders of carbon dioxide around here, so I can't try the experiment, though I would love to see carbon dioxide waterfalls, I must admit.

You wrote:

Ya gots ta get up perty early in the afternoon to pull my wool over the ice.

Don't s'pose that wool would be any protection against that parbly dihydrogen monoxide deadly frost, would it?

Best regards,
LabDub Gonna be a linear thinker any day now, me in my lab playin' Gilbert and Sullivan on my little radio...or is that Cole Porter?

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear WW: The instructions tell you that the food will keep better if oxygen in excluded. The solid CO2 evaporates, and the CO2 gas pushes air containing oxygen out, and refrigerates food. It warns you not to have solid C02 in contact with food, which could cause "freezer burn". If there were a lot of moisture in the air, it might condense on the solid CO2, and much later when solid CO2 is gone make a puddle that might contaminate the food.
Seems a lot of work and expense ;for a mere bucket of food.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I once used the phrase the dry ice bins in a poem, meaning ice bins that were empty and dry, but it read as bins for dry ice. So I had to put a hyphen in ice-bins for clarity's sake. And if you were intending the other meaning, bins for dry ice, I guess you'd have to put a hyphen in dry-ice. Dry ice bin(s) without a hyphen seems to be semantically-challenged, it just can't stand alone. Ah, the quirkiness of the English language!

G
old hand
old hand
G
or is that Cole Porter?

No, no DubDub, a colporteur is a guy who runs around selling bibles. Now if you're talking about some cold Porto, I'll be right over with my glass.

You can go to a bicycle shop and obtain - for about twenty bucks - a tire inflater that uses carbon dioxide cartridges. So, you can do the waterfall experiment AND have a way to pump up your bike tires quickly, AND stop an assailant in his tracks by yelling, "Freeze, sucker," then uh, well, freezing him.

W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Geoff,

You bring the cold Porto, whatever that is, and I'll get the cartridge, and we can wax poetic over the waterfalls.

Best regards,
WordWoozy

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Egads!! A word-related post?? How dare ye?

Good point on your dry ice bins; and excellent solution. Was the hyphen your idea or your long-suffering editor's?*

~~~
* Not to imply WO'N's editor would be any more challenged than any other. All editors are long-suffering. Trust me on this one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,409
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 900 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,582
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith