Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#50567 12/22/01 12:10 AM
musick Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I remember the time when us kids would have trouble sleeping as the anticipation and the stack of gifts seemed to grow tenfold overnight. Dad wasn't much help (getting us to sleep, that is) as we were to be in bed before midnight, and he'd be outside jingling some sleigh bells just to keep the illusion as real as possible.

My most memorable childhood gift would have to be the Bobby Hull Hockey table game (the flat plastic guys who rode a slot in the table controlled with metal rods... etc. (BlackHawks -vs- NorthStars for anyone who cares) It was not only the biggest package I've ever seen (I was seven at the time) it was the only thing I wanted and I think we played it non-stop for a year. I still have it if anyone is up for a game!

Anyone else care to share a favorite gift memory or a tradition that made your childhood 'larger than life'?

#50568 12/22/01 01:41 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Musick:

That kind of loss of sleep--anticipation--is the sweetest and the best loss.

Only it's not my nature to fight anticipation very well. What I do remember is one Christmas Eve night it just about burst me open to think about those packages waiting for the stupid sun to come up. I went into the living room where the tree was, turned on a light, and unwrapped (ever so carefully, pulling away the tape like some kind of crazed Christmas present archaeologist) all of mine and wrapped 'em back, too. Perfection! Holmes would have had trouble sniffing me out. I put those boxes on top of boxes in just the same pattern I'd flashed with my brainy Kodack (Kodac?).

And then back to bed in more excitement thinking how much fun I'd have the next morning playing with everything there.

Ah! It's out! I've confessed! I can finally enjoy Christmas again with a cleansed mind!

Best regards,
Wrapworth

#50569 12/22/01 02:00 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I think it was the Christmas I was ten. I know it was the Christmas I got white figure skates with white rabbit fur trim on the top. It was also the worst Christmas I ever had and I learned a very big lesson that year. You see, I knew where my Mother was hiding all the gifts and I knew where she hid the key. Every time I had the chance to snoop out the gifts without getting caught, I did. When Christmas morning came, I discovered that there was no joy in knowing ahead of time what everyone was getting. I never snooped again. I also remember the delicious anticipation that kept me awake every Christmas Eve. When I would finally start to get sleepy I would try to visualize and name all 50 states over and over. I would usually drop off somewhere near Kansas the third time through. I memorized them in geographical order from Maine south to Florida, the Gulf states to the Great Lakes, the Dakotas to Texas, Arizona and New Mexico up the Great Divide and down the other side from Washington to California. Alaska and Hawaii I saved for the end. Have a wonderful Christmas everyone, and a Happy New Year.
Peace
Connie

#50570 12/22/01 03:16 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#50571 12/22/01 02:40 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The way our hall and staircase were configured there was just room for a balsam tree tucked against the stairwell. The tree was a tall one and the top was level with the topmost railing of the stairs.
I remember that all through the Christmas season (Dec 24-Jan 6) being in bed looking out my door and seeing the top half of the tree with its lights and beautiful angel as I fell asleep.

#50572 12/24/01 04:05 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow, what a beautiful memory--I can see that tree-top...

Musick, thank you for this thread. Oh, yes! The anticipation! One Christmas Eve, I went to bed, woke up, and went in to the parlor, where my aunt and uncle and parents were sitting around the stove, talking. I was wild to get to my stocking and presents--then my mother informed me it was ten p.m.! I'd been asleep less than an hour.

My most memorable Christmas was when I was in 6th grade (ten years old). I got two very large presents--a sewing box, a real, grown-up one, and a coiled, plush snake, that I slept with till I went to college--it was just like someone's arm around me. And I got one HUGE present--a new suitcase! Those 3 big ones outshone everything else, in my eyes.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 907 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith