The stores in NY where all5¢ & 10¢ storesthe words where never writen out.. so i think how that was spoken was a local idiom, since i am pretty sure they were Five and Ten cents stores in NY.-- but mostly they were Woolworth's or Kress's or Grant's all of which where a step up from Cheap Charlie's, and John's Bargain Stores, but where a step below real department stores, like Alexander's-- which was the lowest quality department store. All of these stores have gone out of business.. in the suburbs, ex urbs, there are Wal-marts and K marts. but there are No (not a one!) Wal marts in NYC, only 5 Sears (and all of them are pretty small, and none in manhattan,) and about the same number of K-marts. (2 in manhattan). there used to be a Woolworths every 10 blocks or so.. drug stores have more or less taken over selling all the sundry items you used to be able to buy there-- but not quite.

There were some notable exceptions to the fair credit act.. i think gas stations where excluded for some reason.. i can't think of the other exceptions, but they did exist.