dag-nabbit!

[rant]

Gol-durned has to be one of my least favorite expressions ever. The reason: the cable channel Bravo broadcast the miniseries "Tales of The City" which originally was shown on PBS, and used "gol-durn" extensively for the many times in the script that the actors actually said "god-damn." It was completely absurd for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that a bunch of 20-somethings living in San Francisco in the early 1970's wouldn't go around saying something so corny. Furthermore, anyone who might have been offended by the use of God-damn probably would have been offended even more by the overall story that invovles homosexuals, pot-smoking grandmothers and a secret sex-change operation.

"Bravo" continually amazes me with their seemingly impossible blend of artistic pretention and prudish censorship. When they show the film "Stand By Me" (a great movie), they even edit the taunting of the fat kid ("Lard ass! Lard ass! Lard ass!") to "Lard! Lard! Lard!..." It's pathetic; the movie is a PG rated film.

[end rant]