The rookie was patrolling one day when he saw a Porsche going the other way, doing as Porsches are wont to do, about twice the speed limit. The cop did a u-turn and after catching the Porsche some miles down the road asked to see the male driver's operator's permit.

"Well, officer," replied the guy sheepishly, "I sort of don't have one."

The cop frowned, "Don't have one at all, or don't have it with you?"

"I guess I never bothered to get one."

"OK, let's see your vehicle registration."

The driver replied apologetically, "Actually, I don't have one. You see, this isn't really my car."

"OK, whose car is it?"

"Not sure. It was sitting there with the keys in it, just begging to be driven."

"OK," said the officer, "why don't we start by looking in the glove box and finding out who the owner is."

The guy shook his head. "Officer, you probably don't want to do that. There's a pistol in there."

The cop undid the flap on his Glock. "A gun? Is it yours?"

"Of course, officer, I didn't want it rattling around inside the car at the speeds I was doing."

"OK, hand me the keys, stay in the car, I'm calling for backup."

The shift sergeant arrived and walked up to the Porsche. "Gimme your driver's license."

The man complied.

"Now show me your registration."

The man again complied.

"This your car?"

"Of course, officer, look at the license and registration. They've both got the same name on them."

The sergeant was baffled. "Now just open the glove compartment real slow-like, OK?"

The man complied, revealing that it contained absolutely nothing.

"Now what is going on here?" asked the sergeant. "That cop over there told me you didn't have a license; you stole the car, and you had a gun."

"Oh, right," said the fellow, "and I suppose he told you I was speeding too!"

TEd