i have had the pleasure of two extremely interesting wedding-- One wedding, was the son of a good friend, and it was at the bride's temple. She was hindu. The temple alone -- a complete Hindu temple-- stuck down in the middle of Queen's is a tourist attraction on it own. The wedding-- had one or two elements in common with western religions- Flowers and a wedding tent (similar to the canopy used in Jewish services)-- but everything else-- was new and unexpected... The service was in chanted sanskit-- and include burnt offering of ghee.. The bride (and groom) wore flowers similar to a lei, and the groom, a white loin cloth! It was memorable (and the receptions-- even better)

my sister wedding in a Soka Gakkai budist temple, also in Queen's, less than ½ mile from the Hindu temple. (in a two mile stretch of one street-- over 30 religions are represented) One interesting aspect of the wedding ( which had the participants wearing traditional "western wedding garb" ) was the "Picture taking ceramony" at the temple-- my side of the family was at a disadvantage-- we didn't know the routine, but we quickly learned to watch the japanese guests-- who sorted them selves out in anticapation of the next photo -- But at least we were back to wearing shoes-- since in the temple proper no shoes ( or hats ) were permitted. Several guest were caught with holes in the socks!

My son & daughter in law's wedding, in a field, in the mountains west of Santa Cruz-- with a minister of a "home grown sect" was in many ways, conventional and conserative for my family-- They wrote the own vows-- but the bride walked down the aisle, in white, with bevy of flower girls before her, and the service simple but very recognizable western (christian)

My wedding was not to unconventional-- except my dress was red-- american beauty rose red velvet-- just the skirt part-- the bodice was white crepe-- and the sleeves white georgette. I carried red roses.. (it was in late december-- between christmas an new years) But it was unusual enough.