In US- most long distance (or really other "area"codes) require a 1 first -- so inside of queens, i have a seven digit #, say 123-4567. but if calling home from Manhattan, its 1-718-123-4567.

for international calls (a misnomer, since i can call Canada, parts of Caribean, and Mexico "Locally" --1 + area code and number) you first dial 011 (US internationall Access code-- might even be world standard) then the country codes (2 or 3 digit) and then the city code (area code) and the number. (and yes, if i were calling my sister inside of Japan her number requires a 1 +Area (city)code +7 digit number but when i call internationally, i drop the 1.)

The London Museum of Science and Industry has (had?) a great exhibit on an old fashioned telephone switching box-- You could dial a number and what the switches "switch". great fun!

Of course, electronic (tone switching) is infinately faster-- but the first computer were slow. the keyboard of a phone was intentional laid out opposite from a calculator-- since many professionals could punch in numbers faster that the phone system could first handle them.

US phone companies charged more for "Tone" service, even though it saved them $$$$$. to keep a phone "alive" only takes 5 volts. but to ring or generate a dial tone takes 40 volts. those 40 volts of usage are "not charged for" charges start once you "connect" so the faster you can connect, the faster phone companies start making money. Tones are faster than "pulses"-- so cheaper for phone companies to operate.