Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I mentioned elsewhere that the OED has relaunched their online site as of Nov. 2010. they now refer to the Second Edition (1989 print edition) and the Online Edition, which is the virtual precursor to the official Third Edition. I have to say, not wanting to appear as though I'm flogging this, that they've really done it right this time. I've only just begun to explore it, but for starters, they now have a real Browse feature and they've added a Historical Thesaurus - "a taxonomic classification of the majority of senses and lemmas in OED Online". also, "The static, printed versions of entries published in OED2 are still available on the site for reference." They're obviously aiming at making this the ultimate research tool for the English language.

I'm chuffed.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Um...what are lemmas, please?
And I'm not certain, but I think the word chuffed involves some kind of personal-stake pride. My friend in West Yorkshire was chuffed when her son got an award, for ex.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
was she 'chuffed with herself' or just chuffed? 294,000 gh for 'chuffed with myself'. but redundancy is good!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Jackie. You know what a dilemma is, right? Well, a lemma is just one.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
what are lemmas, please?

Lemmas (also, lemmata) are the form of word chosen to head a diction (also lexical) entry. For some languages this is fairly simple, e.g., in English, if it's a noun then use the singular form, and if it's a verb use the bare stem 9or infinite without to preposed). For languages that have a bit more inflection to them, you have to arbitrarily choose one of a word's many forms to use as the headword (or lemma). In Latin dictionaries, a verb is listed by its first person singular present indicative form, e.g., amo for 'to love'. (Literally the form means 'I love'.) For 'to be', one would look under sum. (And the infinitive of both those verbs are amare and esse respectively. Each language has a different tradition.

Oh, and dilemma is in fact two lemmata ( a lemma being a 'proposition' in Greek, from the verb lambano 'to take'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
veteran
veteran
In math a lemma is a short theorem that is used to prove a larger theorem. I never knew that it meant "proposition," although that makes sense.

old hand
old hand
Shadowing Lemmas also eat mathematicians.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In math a lemma is a short theorem that is used to prove a larger theorem.

FF, I was not even thinking of the math meaning, cuz tsuwm be a lexicographer.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You know what a dilemma is, right? Well, a lemma is just one. And they only come out at night?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And they only come out at night?

What? The proposition, the propositioned, or the propositioner?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 907 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith