Sometimes the articles and nouns don't even match in gender, as in Spanish: el cura, la mano, el agua, etc.

Latin manus, though it ended with a -us, and therefore "looks" masculine, was actually a fourth declension feminine noun. The normal historical development was a loss of final -s and a change of then final [i]u to o. Spanish agua is a feminine noun, but begins with an a, and for reasons of the use of the masculine article has to do with pronunciation. It only happens with words beginning with a that are stressed on the first syllable, like hacha, alma, etc.. If stressed on a different syllable, like amiga the article is la. There are a bunch of nouns that end in -a but which are masculine, and they all have homonyms which are feminine, e.g., el cura 'priest' but la cura 'healing'. El guía 'guide (person)', but la guía 'guidebook'.

In Latin, gender is a grammatical category of lexical items more so than one of morphological endings. Latin agricola 'farmer' is masculine, manus 'hand', is feminine, and corpus is neuter.

I was questioning Faldage's post concerning the word "gender"

Yes, I know. I was just making my position more certain.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.