ok, I'm confused. PIE gheim -> heims -> winter, no?

No. We have two different PIE roots:

1. *gheim-- 'winter' > Latin hiems > French hiver.

2. *kweid 'white, light (in color)' > English white, winter.

You're confusing the the meaning of a Latin word or PIE root (which is given in English) with the roots and words in other languages. The problem is one of those words we are discussing shows up both as a word the etymology of which we are discussing (e.g., winter) as well as the given meaning of the some foreign words (e.g., hiems, hiver). I try in my posts to distinguish between the two different kinds of words by putting the roots under discussion in italics and the meanings in 'single quotation marks' (actually foot signs for the nit-pickier than I).

The thing is that PIE *gh- does not correspond to an English w-, but to English g-, as in the etymology for go I posted in another thread. PIE *kw- corresponds to Old English hw- (by Grimm's law of stops turning into fricatives), which becomes wh- in English. There is a problem with PIE *kweid- (see link in AHD) being the actual root that English winter 'winter' came from, and that is what happened to the h. That's why I hedged and said "some" trace English winter back to PIE *kweid- 'white'. The truth is more likely that we will never know. It is interesting that all many of the IE daughter languages, except for the Germanic, have survivals of the PIE root *gheim- 'winter': e.g., Baltic, Slavic, Greek, Italic, Indic.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.