Today's word, newel, lists as the secondary meaning "2. A post supporting the handrail of a staircase." While that's correct as far as it goes, I have always understood a newel post (on a non-spiral stair) to be a comparatively large post extending above the rail, usually at the bottom end of the handrail or at a landing, while all the other, smaller posts supporting a stair (or any other) handrail are called balusters (or, collectively, a balustrade).

In the below picture, I would have called the five larger posts which extend above the handrail (the ones with the garlanded urns on top) newel posts, and all the smaller ones balusters.

Maybe it would be useful to define 'newel' more precisely, to maintain the distinction between newels and balusters?

As a secondary matter, I've always heard them called "newel posts," rather than just "newels." It's entirely possible that "newel post" is a blatant redundancy, or perhaps a regional variant (I'm from Mississippi).

So, what's the thinking? Anyone else think the newel definition is perhaps a bit vague? D

And, do you call them 'newels' or 'newel posts'?

Clay