In the book "the Psychology of Selling", a passage is titled "The Approach Close".

In this passage, the book tells about a way to achieve a sale. The salesperson will say to the prospect that he is not here to sell something right now but to show why so many others have bought it and continue to buy it. The saleperson will also ask the prospect to listen with an open mind and determine whether or not the product (or service) applies to his situation as well.

When the prospect says, "I have to think it over", the salesperson will respond by saying, "well, Mr. Prospect, I appreciate, but you promised you would tell me one way or the other if this applied to your situation or not", and "After what you've told me, it seems that this is ideal for you at this time, unless there is something else that I don't understand".

This forces the prospect to give a reason for hesitating or objecting, and allows the salesperson to answer or explain, thus continue the selling process instead of ending with the prospect saying "I will think about it".

Here, what does "the Approach Close" mean? Does it mean "to close a deal by approaching(getting close to or get on the same side with) the customer"? Is "approach" here means a method so that "the approach close" means "the approach used to close"? Or "approach" means "to get close to"?

And, by the way, what does "one way or the other" in the 3rd paragraph of this post mean? Does it mean "agree or not" here?

Thanks,

Callithump

Do inform me if you see any corrections needed in my written English.