Caffrerr,

Ok, due to my love of wines, I do have some miniscule knowledge of your question.

A flight, if I recall correctly, is basically a grouping of similar wines; same types, from the same winery, vintage etc. This typically consists of three or more fluted glasses with no more then two ounces with in each.
The reason it is termed as a “flight” is due to the fact that you are dealing with a medley of flavors and there fore are dipping into each and moving onto the next; I.E. a flight in taste.

Just to be sure I checked the Merriam-Webster dictionary and their definition was as follows:
Quote:

5 : a brilliant, imaginative, or unrestrained exercise or display <a flight of fancy>

Where as the American Heritage Dictionary stated:
Quote:

7. A round of competition, as in a sports tournament.
8. An exuberant or transcendent effort or display: a flight of the imagination; flights of oratory.

I hope this assists you in understanding.

Now as for your question concerning the origins of “Charger”, I honestly do not know. I do know that it is mentioned in the bible (several versions) and is described as a "deep dish with flared edges, which was used to bear a lot of weight"

Other then what I have stated, I know not much else concerning either of these words or of their language or cultural derivatives.

Good luck,

(edited due to major faux pau!)

Last edited by AlimaeHP; 01/08/07 08:15 PM.