Continuing along the lines of "what did we call things before we called them what we call them now?"...

etymonline says about knitting - "Meaning "to do knitting" (especially plain stitch) is from 1530. Knitting "knitted work" attested from 1880."
From what I can find, it seems knitting started in Europe sometime in the 1300's (before that there was something called naalbinding which sounds very tedious)(there's also no mention I've found yet of who/where/how it came to be - from your mention of the Crusades I'm assuming you have some source that says it was brought from the Near/Middle East?). So there seems to be over a hundred years when knitting was going on before there's a written reference calling it "knitting".
From the other direction, the various dictionaries list "sock" from the Latin soccus, Old English socc both of which were definitely a type of light low slipper. (Possibly what Henry's wearing on his feet over the "not-stockings" in the above portrait???). So when did sock convert from being a shoe to being hosiery?