Maverick! Naughty, naughty. (chuckle soundicon)

Ted R : I don't know about all that technical engineering stuff but I have had some experience with the governmental mindset.
A little snippet of history for you.
Picture it : Seabrook nuclear power station on the NH seacost was being built and the containment vessels were due to arrive. The 1,414 demonstrators had been arrested not to long before (that's another story) so the gum'mint had shrouded the arrival in secrecy. I was the reporter. My Editor wanted the story - with pictures! - but not at the cost of having his reporter incarcerated by the State Police!
It didn't take a genius to figure out that bringing in the containment vesell by road would ensure a media mob in attendance.
So what was the alternative? By sea. The Seabrook Station is built against the marshland giving access to the Station via Hampton Harbor.
The harbor has a narrow entrance, a vicious tide that had caused many deaths ( yet another story) Further, it was spanned by a bridge that is part of the coastal highway (U.S. Route 1A) I checked the published height dimension and ascertained the vessell would clear it.

Hmmmm. Lacking radar how to track? Easy, the same way they did it in the Pacific during WWII.
Being a good little reporter I had contacts in the Fish & Game Department. I knew the Wardens assigned to the coast and asked them for a tip-off. Smiles but no sale.
Who else? Lobstermen! Fishermen! I went to the harbor restaurant where the Lobstermen ate breakfast after their morning runs and talked to a few of the men who went to sea year-round. Grins. No promises but a glint in various eyes bespoke of an inborn Yankee glee at foiling the best laid plans ...etc... etc...
Sure enough I got the phone call, anonymous, about a huge barge being towed up the coast. Sighted off Gloucester about 5 a.m. and headed north! Ah HA! Off to the harbor -- with the photographer. And thar' she blowed! A HUGE canvas-covered containment vessel on a barge being towed by a powerful sea-going tug.
It quickly became apparent the height of the bridge was no problem but I stunned to realize I had not looked hard enough at the WIDTH!
We were not there too long when other reporters started to arrive but we got the best pictures of the arrival as the incredibly skilled tug Captain cleared the harbor entrance
with LITERALLY three inches to spare on each side. We got the story, and the pictures!
God bless all Coast Watchers and Lobstermen wherever and whenever they live! They helped me get a good story for my paper and our sister newspaper (a daily) over the state line in Massachusetts.
The "powers that be" were not too upset as the arrival by sea foiled demonstrations. To my knowlege no one was asked how they found out about the time of arrival but since the call I got was anonymous I had no problems anyway.

wow