I will be back in a jiffy with definition #2

I can't imagine how you will surpass the depth and clarity of Definition #1, themilum. But I'm sure your Definition #2 will dispel Jackie's nostalgia for archival commentaries. Such reminiscences are more often fondly remembered than fondly relived.

An amiable recollection is very friendly to imperfections. The best way to honor our dead is to speak kindly of it and treat it as we would any other sleeping doggerel: "Let it lie." [And we know you are the "self-annointed arbiter" of doggerel as well as limericks, themilum. :) ]

In any case, we grow impatient for your irony.

The longer we have to wait for your wisdom, the more we will expect of it when it finally arrives. This is the converse of Jackie's nostalgia, and you may find some irony in that.

Your wisdom, which deserves to shine, grows ever more dim as we wait for it, whereas the wisdom buried in our archives, deservedly dim in memory, begins to shine.

The glow is flowing in the wrong direction, themilum. We should expect more of our living around here, and less of our dead.

When the best we have to look forward to is already dead and buried, then, surely, we are better off living in our past. [Please resist the temptation to repine that that's what we're already doing, themilum. :) ]

The old carouser slowly
Stood up, drank life's last glow,
And flung the cup so holy
Into the flood below.

He saw it plunging, drinking
As deep in the sea it sank.
His eyes the while were sinking,
Not a drop again he drank.

From THE KING OF THULE by Goethe
Originally posted in "Beakers" thread yesterday.

Just a little cross-threading to set the stage for your final irony, themilum.