just a bit of clarification as to some of the terminology(!) being tossed about here. and a comment.

the terms "ghost-word" and "nonce word" are common terms of lexicography. at the moment I'm not sure about "non-word", which I've used casually here and elsewhere; I should probably LIU*. I posted above the M-W definition of ghost-word. nonce words are words that are coined "for the nonce"; someone has a need for a specific sense and so coins something on the spot. these usually die out (they only make sense in context and don't find an unfilled niche), only to be found in some hugely descriptive volume such as the OED (see James Joyce); others live on; e.g., gerrymander. (see the wwftd list for a few nonce words of little worth)

and following directly from this, I'd add this comment: there is not much new under this sun. this has all been hashed out before, at many times and in many places. but those of us who remain interested in this topic are always on the lookout for new slants; if you tend to be bored by the circularity of it all, see the foofaraw (did I spell that right?) to be found in Wordplay & fun. :)

*nonword - a word that has no meaning, is not known to exist, or is disapproved [Merriam-Webster Online]