>Creche is never used in NY for childcare

We use the word creche to mean childcare in a leisure centre or a shopping centre. It tends to mean the rather temporary childcare that allows the parents to shop, exercise, swim or see a play (if they are very lucky) and is provided by the people who want you to shop, exercise, swim or see a play! It is probably for two hours maximum on an irregular basis. The word is sometimes used for work-place creches which do have longer hours and are more like nurseries (see below).

Child-minders take children into their homes. I forget the ratios but they are quite complicated and depend on age of the children. There are a lot of registered childminders but it depends on the area.

Nannies provide child-care in the home. Some of my friends share nannies. They can be highly qualified, although it isn't legally required (or terribly well enforced). Au pairs are here to learn the language, usually and work part-time, generally looking after children who are older or who attend nurseries for part of the day. I seem to remember that there was a problem with an English au pair in Boston, so I'll avoid that one.

The Pre-School Parents Association (PPA) supports Play Groups which can be 2-3(ish) hours a day, Mon- Fri. There are professional staff but the fees are low and parents are encouraged as parent helpers and fundraisers.

Some schools have nursery classes, usually only half days from the age of three and are seen as education, rather than childcare. Some children start school as soon as they are four but in Scotland they can be as old as five and a half. Some schools have "After School Clubs" for children with working parents who do not make use of alternative child-care. They provide play opportunities (but not an opportunity to do homework). Some areas now have homework clubs for supported study.

Private nurseries provide care for children while parents are working and can have very long hours, say 8am - 6pm.
They take babies up to school age children and have strict requirements such as small toilets, outdoor play and ratios in keeping with the number of children.

I forgot to include grandparents and sisters and brothers who also provide childcare for many families.

My children are survivors of most of these types of child-care from stay-at-home mum, to full time nanny. They say that they liked the nanny best!!!