Christmas traditions? When we were children, and set up the creche, the wise were positioned at the far side of the room, and each day moved closer to the creche, (the good kid of the day got the privilege of moving them) and didn't arrive till little Christmas..

and as Rhu suggest– it is possible to have a christmas with out disappointments?
My parent were so much better at missing the mark than hitting it, I came to expect my Christmas present to be not what I desired.

One year stands out as an exception.. I needed a new winter jacket, and under the tree was a large box.. My mother in particular warned me as I opened the box that she hadn't looked through the rack, and that I could exchange it for something in pale pink or blue.. She went on and on, assuring me I didn't have to like the contents.. I could exchange it...

When finally got it open, I found a jacket that looked as it was made from a bear skin..with a racoon type trim about the hood. (It was a fake fur). I loved it. Once again my mother suggested I could exchange it for some soft pastel nylon jacket– the "style" of the time.. And I said oh no– its perfect...

For the next several years, my mother rued the day she hadn't bothered to look for something, and just picked up the first thing she saw on the rack...

Congratulation to Rhu on having retained your curls... I don't have (never did) curly hair, but my siblings who did, have the problem that their grey hairs come in straight.. Since they all tend to have very tight curls ( lambs wools hair the Irish say) their grey hairs are all the more evident..