Oh, well. Thanks a lot for taking a look at all this. I suppose I'd have to talk to an engineer with special expertise in highway design...and I don't know anyone.

I do! I do, Wordwind, and I called him. His name is "Major Hate" Autin and he works for the Alabama State Highway Department in Guntersville. Major said that that type of an exit was usually found on Interstates that are designed for all exits to exit to the right (so as to avoid crossing lanes to exit) and are called Teapots, because all exits are shaped like teapot handles.

"But Major," I said "Wordwind wants a name for the occasion when the right exit ramp in one direction joins the right exit ramp from the other direction and requires the outside laners to merge to the inside lane in order to continue in the single lane that goes in that direction."

Major said nothing for a full minute then he said...

"Tell her that that type of ramp is called "Twin Teapots" and tell her to be careful, those ramps are dangerous."

And Major oughta know. He's been sitting behind the same desk at the Highway Department for twenty five years now and is counting.