Clever, plutarch.

Faldage, I wasn't interested in learning about what made this merge different from any other merge. I was wondering if there is a name for this particular category of merges. I imagine that merges must be categorized by civil engineers. This particular one that is so difficult is difficult in part because it is so hard to see the oncoming traffic that drives underneath the interstate bridge; it is also difficult because I'm not completely trusting of those coming from underneath the interestate to yield as they're supposed to do, but don't. Those in the northernmost merge lane have great difficulty in seeing back at the angle you can see on the map. There are other merges about town that are not close to being as difficult as this one, and, as of troy pointed out, there are contrary directions: slow down, speed up, slow down and stop all by the time you get to the light at the end of the merge access road.

I'd just like to know the name of such a merge that requires the right-of-way drivers to hold their breath and hope that the yielders will yield, especially when line of sight is extremely difficult for the right-of-way drivers.

This part of 95 has numerous traffic accidents, not only because of this precarious merge, but also because of a terrible bottleneck where 85 branches off from 95, especially when travelers are moving north on 85 into 95 north. Whoever were the team that designed the roadways and merges around the Colonial Heights/Petersburg area failed in many ways. And our accidents in the area are proof of the problem.

Oh, well. Thanks a lot for taking a look at all this. I suppose I'd have to talk to an engineer with special expertise in highway design...and I don't know anyone.