Well, the stated month has gone. Majority opinion is clear, according to the posts; nor did I receive any* PM's about negative experiences.
*Other than from the same person who had been sending them for some time prior to this experiment.

I don't know what else can be done, truly. I would get indications that the one was speaking for a "silent minority", but. Without knowing who these others are, I can't write to them and ask for clarification or make any attempt (and attempt is all it could have been in any case) to try to put things right. So, failing any evidence to the contrary, I think I must say that for someone who believes "the whole world is out of step but me", there may come a time when that person ought to check on the rightness of his or her own steps; and I think that time may have come for this person.

You know, sometimes this place reminds me of Star Trek: there's the crew of the Enterprise, sailing through space; and when they come across new aliens, they have no way of knowing: a.) what these particular aliens' intentions are--friendly, curious, cautious, fearful, agressively hostile, etc.; or b.) whether they will be able to communicate with them in a meaningful way. And I think that so it is with internet boards/chat rooms. I know that we've had many who read but never post, for whatever reason; and many, including myself, take a while to get up the courage to post for the first time. But I think the (b) part is more important. We have had quite a lot of, "Oh, but I didn't mean it the way you thought I did". And this is a good thing.** If someone has been upset by something posted, he can either keep that fact to himself, or bring it up. And much more often than not, in the latter case, the situation gets resolved satisfactorily. Quite often, the post-er did not intend upset or know that someone was. Sometimes the reader is more paranoid than warranted; sometimes the post-er is harsher than warranted. Quite often it is a matter of communication between "aliens": for example, if someone who communicates with real-life friends by using insults (meaning, to that person, "Hey, I know we know each other well enough that I can trust you not to take offense but to understand that this trust is actually a compliment") does the same thing among strangers (here)--well, that can take some pretty fancy explaining.

One of the problematical things is that here (as in the show; must have new episodes, you know) new people continue to come on Board. And of course each brings their own way of communicating. But a bigger problem has been that they take a look at the established group which has already been through explanations and understandings, and may feel left out or at least bewildered--or upset. And I don't think there is much of anything we can do about that--that's the way society is. I used the example once before of a new employee coming to a huge workplace: some individuals may go out of their way to make him feel welcome, but no one is required to; and it nearly always will be up to him to figure out how to fit in, or be forever a loner. If he tries to change the group's interaction to suit him...well, that just ain't gonna happen.

**(Nope, I didn't forget!) We worked hard, long ago, to try and ensure that these questions-and-answers are polite and not ugly. Accusations and threats tend to evoke similar responses; a simple request for clarification is not likely to invite retaliation--just information.

Thanks, everybody.