Well, it could have been this Dick Smith, Dgeigh --- but it seems unlikely:

"Dick Smith--writer, artist, photographer--was deeply devoted to preservation of the wild and was called by some the "conscience of Santa Barbara." The Wilderness that bears his name is an area of extremely rugged terrain with elevations varying from 3,750 feet along the Cayuma Rim to 6,541 feet atop Madulce Peak to the west. Chaparral dominates the vegetation, but a splendid collection of mixed conifers grows around Madulce Peak."

http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=wildView&wname=Dick Smith Wilderness

re "I think the lexicographers would require the words, “probably” or “may” in the explanation of the word’s etymology."

OK, "probably" the reference is to the Dick Smith band which adopted the name in 1982.

It isn't every mystery which warrants a "definitive" answer, Dgeigh -- which is why Occam's Razor comes in so handy, at least for me.

But for anyone looking for a "definitive" answer, I would agree that finding out how long the name was used by Bevman's father would be a good place to start.