Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
of troy Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ARMSCYE

i have knit since age 8, and sewn since i was a teen, and recently i came across this word in a sweater pattern.
armscye

Pronunciation: (ärm'sI, -zI), [key]
—n.
the armhole opening in a garment. Also,arms•eyePronunciation: (ärmz'I"). [key]

(found it in one dictionary, using Onelook.)

i understood it, but had never seen or heard it before. Since my parents were from ireland, i often heard words that i don't use--or heard words used in ways that are not common to US english--i don't think its a UK/English english word.

anyone else familier for this word to describe the hole in the side of a garment that is where you place the sleeve?

J
veteran
veteran
J
Interesting word. Not in the OED 1st edition. A knitting magazine had an etymology of arm's eye. May be a folk etymology, maybe not.

Addendum: found a ref to a Scots word scye (or sey) that means opening.

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/glossary.html

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I hadn't heard of this word before, Helen, although arm's eye was my first guess. But usually, don't we take olde spellings and modernize them? This appears to be the reverse of that. Although--perhaps arm's eye WAS spelled that way, way back, and simply wasn't ever used enough to be modernized...?

To you experts: does cye mean anything; or rather, did it, maybe in ME or OE?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ooh, thanks, Bingley:
Armscye (Armseye)

It's not a term that is particularly medieval, but it gets tossed around a lot in medieval clothing discussions. It means 'Armhole', or that roundish place in the body of a garment that the sleeve gets set into.

OED "Scye - The opening in a coat into which a sleeve is inserted. 1st listed use is 1825 JAMIESON Suppl. s.v. Sey, The sey of a gown or shift is the opening through which the arm passes. Etymology is listed as "A use of a Scots and Ulster dialect word (written also sey, sci, si, sie, sy in glossaries) meaning ‘the opening of a gown, etc., into which the sleeve is inserted; the part of the dress between the armpit and the chest’ (E.D.D.); of obscure etymology.
Armseye is listed in a description of 'Dolman' (sleeves) in the OED, dated to 1934.

http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/glossary.html

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 907 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith