Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#130219 07/10/04 12:32 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
My favorites are "Herman", "The Far Side", "Opus (not Outland)", "Peanuts", "Calvin and Hobbs" and "Dilbert." I also really enjoy, and have read every Asterix - though not strickly a "strip" it is comics.

I also like BC but I do agree with ASp. The preachy religious ones bother me.

#130220 07/10/04 02:39 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Goodness gracious ! What a trip down memory lane. I was a fan of Mandrake, too. I loved that he could be in two places at once. A trick I wished I could emulate when my sons were youths.
I was concentrating on my early comic reading days and completely forgot Calvin and Hobbs which always gives me a chuckle.
Thanks for all the contributions. Fun wot?

#130221 07/14/04 02:27 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
I guess I'll show my age by mentioning that in my youth, my favorites were "Bringing up Father" (featuring Jiggs and Maggie) and "Our Boarding House" (featuring the inimitable Major Hoople [Fap!]). These (especially BUF) ran for ages -- BUF began running, I think, about 1920 and finally disappeared in sometime in the '70s. It never changed. Jiggs and Maggie started out as middle aged and stayed that way for 70 years.

On the other hand, in Gasoline Alley (running since the '20s), the characters age. Walt Wallet is now pictured as about 100, recently widowed, and I presume will finally shuffle off this mortal coil sometime in the next few years. Skeezix, who was a baby in the original strip, is now retired and in his 70s.

Another oldie which as been subjected to PC treatment is "Snuffie Smith". He was originally a minor character in "Barney Google" [with the Goog-goog-googely eyes] and about 40 or 50 years ago morphed took over the strip with very rare appearances by Barney. He was a shif'less good-fer-nuthin moonshining varmint who was kept alive by Loweezy, his long-suffering wife. But several years ago, he reformed -- gave up moonshining and chicken stealing, treats "Maw" like a human being and being a father to his infant and nephew. Still stuck in time, however; Tater, the infant, has been an infant for at least a generation.

Interesting how some long-running strips evolve, others are stuck in time. Doonesbury (my not-to-be-missed favorite) has kept up with time. All the characters have aged with the exception of Zonker, who is a world unto himself.

#130222 07/22/04 02:06 PM
F
addict
addict
F
I'm a bit late to the party, and most of my favorites have already been well-represented:

Calvin & Hobbes - so empowering to a youngster with a good imagination.
The Far Side - introduced me into the more subtle side of humor (the Midvale School for the Gifted always comes to mind).
Non Sequitur - very intelligent.
Dilbert - love the cynicism and the cat.

But a couple of the best have not been mentioned:

Robotman - could be hit-or-miss, but when it hit, it was always a home run.
Life In Hell - the strip that got Matt Groening the chance to do The Simpsons, best satire ever.

There are also some great webcomics out there, for those that have never experienced them:

Scary Go Round - by a Brit (but it is still good ). Has an element of the old-style serial adventure comic, but also very funny. http://www.scarygoround.com/
Questionable Content - perhaps aimed at a younger crowd than AWADtalk, but very well polished in both art and humor. If you have time, check through the archives -- you can really see the author's skills improve over the run of the strip. http://www.questionablecontent.net
Diesel Sweeties - unique pixelated art, equally unique characters and stories. http://www.dieselsweeties.com
Dinosaur Comics - very unconventional strip that features the exact same art every day, with different text (read a few, you'll understand). http://www.qwantz.com
White Ninja Comics - quirky art and concept. Can be very Non Sequitur-esque. http://www.whiteninjacomics.com
Pathetic, Inc. - bizarre Photoshop-illustrated strip that could be called "Dilbert on speed and/or acid". Satan is a recurring character, if that tells you anything. If you check out today's, the back story is that these two office drones are trying to strike it rich with a homebrewed beer called Krep, and they have taken it to a contest in Germany. http://www.colintheriot.com/patheticinc

#130223 07/22/04 02:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

formerly known as etaoin...
#130224 07/22/04 07:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks, Flatlander, that one's now on my list. Maybe the ASp should check it out, with it's heroine being a relocated Georgian.

#130225 07/23/04 12:39 PM
old hand
old hand
I always enjoyed the following strips:

Older -- Maggie & Jiggs, Peanuts, Pogo

Deck us all with Boston Charlie, Walla Walla, Wash, and Kalamazoo!

Nora's freezin' on the trolley, Swaller dollar cauliflower Alleygaroo!

Don't we know archaic barrel, Lullaby Lilla Boy, Louisville Lou.

Trolley Molly don't love Harold, Boola Boola Pensacoola Hullabaloo!

Newer --

Calvin & Hobbes, Bloom County, The Far Side, Mutts

As far as "comic books" go --

I was an avid fan of Superman and Action comics, as well as an occasional reader of Spiderman and World's Finest.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,409
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 837 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,582
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith