Here's how you all did. Congratulations AnnaStrophic and dxb.

1. signpost, usually at an intersection of roads, indicating distance to the nearest town in each direction. [Fiberbabe] (consuelo & Sparteye)

2. [Scottish dialect]: forested: traditionally the land around each village is divided into qualtagh (forest), montagh (bog), corn (cultivated) and machair (rough grazing). [hibernicus] (Bingley, Fiberbabe, & wofahulicodoc)

3. (n), Gaelic. A knapsack used by Scottish gamekeepers for storing small items such food and shotgun shells while inspecting their estates. [Capfka] (n/a)

4. A quarter-length shillelagh; made for and used by leprechauns. [Jackie]

5. kindred spirit; doppelgänger [Scots Gaelic] [AnnaStrophic]

6. a measure of volume, more than a peck but not as much as as a bushel. (Gaelic, obviously) [wofahulicodoc]

7. Mythical beast featured in many folk tales of N. American tribes. [Bingley] (Faldage, TEd Remington)

8. One who is always ready; never caught on the back foot. [dxb] (musick)

9. the first person one meets after leaving home on some special occasion. [OED, jheem] (AnnaStrophic, dxb, & tsuwm)

10. A modern quasi-Irish gaelic word meaning discourse about quality issues. [RhubarbCommando]

11. idealism [musick] (etaoin)

12. a small structure, made of wet animals skins stretched over a framework of green wood and then shrunk over a fire, and then used to house provisions. A design of the Ojibway nation. [Sparteye] (Capfka, Coffeebean, hibernicus, & sjmaxq)

13. (n) a slanderer, shrewish person. (from Gaelic qual bad, malicious and tagh tongue, language) [sjmaxq] (RhubarbCommando)

I found qualtagh in the OED in my high school library. I was probably a sophomore then. I spent a lot of time in the library, learning about Gothic and Old Saxon (Dutch) by reading etymologies in the OED. I was reading the Q volume. It's a Manx loanword; the only one I know. The OED entry adds: "also, the first person entering a home on New Year's Day; the first-foot." Etymology: Manx, also written <i>quaaltagh</i> < <i>quaail</i> (= Ir. and Gael. <i>comhdháil</i> 'meeting').

<font color=red>edited by jheem to relfect that tsuwm had voted and correctly.]