W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
In a Kipling story, a young man boasts of raising cotton
in Africa:
"Rubber -nuts -gums -and so on," he said. "But our real future is cotton. I grew fifty acres of it last year in my District."

"My District!" said his father. "Hear him, Mummy!"

"I did though! I wish I could show you the sample. Some Manchester chaps said it was as good as any Sea Island cotton on the market."

Sea Island is a variety of cotton prized for its long fibres.

#119568 01/11/04 08:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
cotton was cultivated in both the old world and the new world.

and in both 'worlds', there were some wonderful hybids. Sea island cotton is grown (primarily) on the sea islands along the atlantic coast--these extend from Georga/N Florida area right on up to Long Island.. (and to geologically, really, right up to cape cod, which is now a peninsula, but was once a barriar island.) -most of the barriar island spend time connecting to the main land, and then, being washed away again in winter storms, some, like coney island, and rockaway island, (in NYC) have become permentently connected to the main land.

sea island cotton is very similar to eygptian cotton.. a very smooth, very long fiber, and very strong fiber cotton, that can be spun very fine, so you can get thread counts of over 300 threads per square inch(only silk has finer fibers/threads)

sea island, is both a variety, (a specific type of cotton --sea island variety) and cotton grown on one of the several sea island (off the coast of NC) that are the original home to the variety.

unfortunately, the term sea island is used rather loosely and not all cotton labeled sea island cotton is really grown there.. and some cotton grown on the island is not the long staple length variety. (a more pressing concerns, is these islands, like hilton head, are being 'developed' as resorts communities, and many of the old farms are being put out of business.)

#119569 01/19/04 08:12 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
There is a great deal of cotton grown from south of Richmond all the way down to the barrier islands off North Carolina, just as of troy mentioned.

I have seen literally hundreds of cotton fields that are particularly beautiful in the early fall when the stems have turned deep chocolate-colored and the cotton balls are bright white in contrast.

My question, of troy, is what is it about the islands that would be conducive to producing this particular type of cotton that you have described? And would you expect this particular type of cotton to thrive as well inland--at least a few miles--in the South and even inland in the North as far as cotton will thrive?

And, while you're at it, what is it that Egyptian cotton requires to thrive? You've written before about Egyptian cotton and I did enjoy very much reading what you had to say about it then, but I don't remember your having gone into growing conditions ideal for that type of cotton.

#119570 01/19/04 08:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
i have't a clue why sea island(s) are better.. WAG's would include cool moist breezes (off shore breezed at night) which add moisture and help the plant 'fight stress', or just general level of humidity (i am guessing high humidity would be good, but could lead to mold of some sort, but sea island would have breezier air, providing humidity with out 'stale air', and so plants grow (as result of humidity) but don't fall prey to mildew..)

the same might be true of egypt.. (breezes help 'settle' egypt.. they tend to be southernly.. so with sails, boats could go down stream, and current (of the nile would move them upstream)--so the country (the settled part!) became long and narrow along the nile, but with an easy way to travel, it became one community/country.

The shore(NJ)/the beach(NY)--what ever its called(in VA and Carolinas--is a still a popular summer getaway. Most of the east coast has a pattern of cool moist breezes at sunrise/sunset, that make wonderful places that don't require A/C to be comfortable. (maybe cotton likes the weather too?)

#119571 01/20/04 12:40 AM
W
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Maybe cotton does like that weather. I know that the horrible humidity in the Richmond, VA, area is what tobacco likes very much--and it is this very weather that causes people who never had an allergy problem to suddenly develop them when they move here--some kind of humidity factor that causes their sinuses to become horribly congested.

But Richmond's inland--and the weather here is not at all like beach weather. So I would think this sea island cotton wouldn't like Richmond's weather either.

Interesting to consider, isn't it?

Thanks, of troy, again, as usual.

Is treise duchas na oiliuint.

#119572 01/20/04 01:34 AM
W
wwh Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
It is part of our cultural heritage.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,396
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 743 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,576
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,921
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith