My particular rant is about the various attempts to standardise english spellings, pronunciations and grammar. I like the great diversity that english has, it makes it a language full of potential word play, great colour and richness and immense flexibility and usefulness. The only issue that should ever concern anyone is the comprehensibilty of the language. Shakespear had no regularity of spelling and he used many terms which would now be consider americanism by UK english speakers. This did not make him a lesser user of English, and modern english speakers need not, in my opinion, feel any more obliged to stick to spelling rules than he did.

Language is a vibrant living thing, and like living things it changes and grows. I find the new disregard of capital letters, exhibited by many usenet users, a little disconcerting as I am unused to it. However, it is a fine example of how language changes.

The english which I find most interesting is West Indian, with it's rich rhyming tones and african grammatical conventions. Long may english maintain it's richness and diversity.