#103786 05/20/03 04:31 PM
D
dxb Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
ROAD:

1a. abbr. Rd. An open, generally public way for the passage of vehicles, people, and animals. b. The surface of a road; a roadbed. 2. A course or path: the road to riches. 3. A railroad. 4. Nautical A roadstead. Often used in the plural.

Etymology: Middle English rode, rade, a riding, road, from Old English r d. See reidh- in Appendix I.

Appendix I: Indo-European Roots: reidh- To ride. Derivatives include raid, road, and array.
I. Basic form *reidh-. 1a. raid, road, from Old English r d, a riding, road, from Germanic *raid-.

Ancient roadbuilders:

Mesopotamians - in 3500 BC.
Chinese - by the 11th century BC and by the 2nd century BC were responsible for the famous Silk Road, evocative and romantic (to me at least – I know ‘fings ain’t wot they useta be’, but still).
Incas - built a network of roads through the Andes, including galleries cut through solid rock.
Babylonians - had a system of roads radiating from Babylon.
Egyptians - built highways for the transport of materials used in building the pyramids etc.
Romans - the Appian Way was begun about 312 BC, the Flaminian Way about 220 BC.

The Roman Empire eventually had a road system of about 80,000 km and their work can still be seen. Roman roads are noted for running in a straight line, but even where the road follows a ridge or the valley of a river the curves are not smooth. Instead, the road was laid out in short straight lengths following the terrain, aligned from one high point to another with the road following each alignment right up to the angle. Most roads were defined by curb stones on each side.

Major Roman roads were laid upon an embankment, called an agger, to form a sub-base. The agger could either be just an earth bank or, using layers of stone or other locally available material, raised up to 5 feet high and 50 feet wide with a layer of stones at the bottom to provide drainage. This bottom layer of the agger is the statumen.

The lower part of the road proper, the rudus, was of gravel and sand sometimes mixed with clay, and compacted in several successive layers. This was really what we would call the road base, laid on top of the agger.

The upper layers of the road were paved with gravel, flint or other small, broken stones. After the second century B.C. stone slabs were sometimes used for paving; from that time roads had to be paved in towns, but sand or pebbles sufficed on country sections. The total depth of a road, from surface to the top of the agger, could be 1.5 meters with the surface steeply sloped to each side from the centre.

Theme will continue tomorrow.

#103787 05/20/03 04:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
New Amsterdam, (aka NY) didn't have paved roads in town for the first 20 years...
when the law was passed requiring paved streets, the first street to get paved was called brick street...it was the street that housed most of the beer and malt shops in NA/NY
and a single block of the street remains today (just of bowling green, in the very down town edge of manhattan)

for many years most of NY streets were paved with what the locals call 'cobble stones', but aren't, they are technically 'belgian paving blocks (cobble stones are rounder, belgian paving blocks are sort of brick shaped, but larger, each one weights between 20 to 30 lbs.)

#103788 05/20/03 06:14 PM
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
"cobblestones are rounder" and bone rattling to ride a bike over!

#103789 05/21/03 01:43 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Cool to have the names of the layers, dxb--thanks. It still kills me that you-all have what you call 'metalled' roads.

#103790 05/21/03 02:03 AM
S
sjm Offline
old hand
old hand
S
>It still kills me that you-all have what you call 'metalled' roads.

Most of our "metalled" roads (we call them gravel roads here) are in much better nick than the sealed collection of potholes and abysslets that passes for a highway between Cesena and Ravenna. Coming off the autostrada onto that was simultaneously an exercise in topology and phrenology.

#103791 05/21/03 01:06 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear dxb: "agger" - so that's where "aggregate" for toad building came from.
It takes around 20,000 tons of aggregate to make a one mile stretch of four-lane highway, and tailings are a proven aggregate in road building in towns around ...
www.nrri.umn.edu/default/newsrelease/taconitetailings.htm

#103792 05/21/03 04:24 PM
D
dxb Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
It still kills me that you-all have what you call 'metalled' roads. ~ Jackie

I came across what could be the origin of that phrase. The Romans sensibly used local materials in their road construction. Where a road was passing through an iron making area they would use the slag left over from the iron working to mix in with their top layer, or wear coat. This would rust into hard coagulated chunks that proved highly efficacious and long lasting. Truly a metalled surface.

#103793 05/22/03 04:23 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
I have the vague idea that metal originally meant anything dug up rather than specifically what we now call metals. So stones from a quarry were also "metal".

The Latin and Greek dictionaries in Perseus would seem to confirm this. The Latin metallum and Greek metallon both meant mine or quarry (and the products thereof).

Latin: http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y597127A4
Greek: http://makeashorterlink.com/?J1B7227A4

Bingley

Bingley

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 963 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith