Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#72632 06/12/02 08:18 PM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
First, let me say that Yes, I am an old-timer, with the good fortune to have experienced this board in its days of glory.

I have good reason to desire anonymity. My opinion (which, as disclaimed below, is not necessarily the opinion of this board or its moderators) is that the thing that calls itself "Keiva" and various other names is completely unstable and hellbent on wreaking destruction wherever possible, and probably has a very difficult time distinguishing between reality and whatever warped world it lives in. I do not wish to be the recipient of any of its sugar-coated venom balls in the form of emails and/or private messages, so I must post anonymously.

To ModestGoddess (an inaptronym if there ever was one), SilkMuse, Angel, eWhine, and any other accolytes (and recognizing that the possibility exists that you are all the same deranged person):

At the risk of sounding harsh, you have absolutely NO conception of what this board was once like, and you can post all of the inane drivel you want and call it intelligent conversation, but you can't hold a candle to what once existed here. Someone's resurrecting threads--have you even looked at them? If so, does honest reflection not tell you that most of the crap that's being brought to the table now is nothing like the collective wit and intellect that once made this the best place on the internet? AWAD has become a chat room, filled with vacuous voices steadily rising in volume, drowning out the voices that so many of us once appreciated. This had nothing to do with the thing that calls itself Keiva, except inasmuch as his self-important proliferation of posts annoyed the hell out of many of us.

The irony, then, is that the board as some of us once knew it was in a steady state of decline before "it" joined us, was blackballed, and like a serpent slithered its way back in through the back door. Its return, though, marked the end of most of our efforts to combat the decline. Keiva, in all of your incarnations, get this through your head: You are not wanted on the board by the overwhelming majority of the members. You, with your foul stench, have singlehandedly driven almost all of the people that mattered from this board. We do not want you to mention our names, we don't not want you to dredge up our old posts and reply to them, and we certainly do not want you to direct questions toward us, because We Do Not Like You. You are an exile, an outcast, and that is never, ever going to change. Got it?

Angel, I'm quite certain this will sound harsh, but in fairness: I cannot speak for all of the attendees of the upcoming social event, but I can tell you that a plurality of those attending feel that given your recent behaviour, combined with the fact that as a relative newcomer you've had precious little chance to form any real social bonds with most of those attending, it would probably be in your best interest to think long and hard on whether you'd be more comfortable declining. Perhaps another year.

I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

With sadness,

A fed-up Old-Timer.

#72633 06/12/02 10:12 PM
S
S
Pardon my "inane", "drivelling", "deranged" and "vacuous voice" that "doesn't matter". If you, in your swelled and all-glorious magnitude had deigned to read one of my posts I believe it would be crystal clear that I am no one's accolyte.

"have you even looked at them?" Or is it easier to assume that, because I came onto this board at a time that was obviously fraught with strife, I must necessarily be related to that strife?

If your elitist POV is indicative of the Glory Days of the board, then I'm relieved I was no part of it. If that was, indeed, the prevalent attitude at the time, it's no great wonder that the board was in a "steady state of decline". I find it hard to believe that the glory and bonding I've read so much about were based on a fraternity of mutual snobbishness. (I have read scores of back posts and was of a slightly different opinion.)

FYI - and I do hope you get it, this time (not that someone of your obvious superiority has any reason to grant equity to such an underling) - I am NOT Angel, Ewein, ModGod or any other entity. Is baseless presumptuousness always associated with superior wit and intellect, or only on your elevated level? If you want to slink around under other names, that's your business. I haven't and won't. Don't really give a rat's ass what you think of my far inferior intellect, O Mighty One, but allow me my humble individuality, lowly though it may be.

#72634 06/12/02 11:14 PM
K
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
K
OPEN LETTER
TO: Your Obvious Superiority
(shamelessly stealing silk's phrases)

O’er a small suburban borough / Once an eagle used to fly,
Making observations thorough / From his station in the sky,
And presenting the appearance / Of an animated V,
Like the gulls that lend coherence / Unto paintings of the sea.

Looking downward at a church in / This attractive little shire,
He beheld a smallish urchin / Shooting arrows at the spire;
In a spirit of derision, / "Look alive!" the eagle said;
And, with infinite precision, / Dropped a feather on his head.

Then the boy, annoyed distinctly / By the freedom of the bird,
Voiced his anger quite succinctly / In a single scathing word;
And he sat him on a barrow, / And he fashioned of this same
Eagle’s feather such an arrow / As was worthy of the name.

Then he tried his bow, and, stringing / It with caution and with care,
Sent that arrow singing, winging / Towards the eagle in the air.
Straight it went, without an error, / And the target, bathed in blood,
Lurched, and lunged, and fell to terra / Firma, landing with a thud.

"Bird of freedom," quoth the urchin, / With an unrelenting frown,
"You shall decorate a perch in / The menagerie in town;
But of feathers quite a cluster / I shall first remove for Ma;
Thanks to you, she’ll have a duster / For her precious objets d’art."

And THE MORAL is that pride is / The precursor of a fall.
Those beneath you to deride is / Not expedient at all.
Howsoever meek and humble / Your inferiors may be,
They perchance may make you tumble, / So respect them. Q.E.D.

Guy Wetmore Carryl, The Domineering Eagle and the Inventive Bratling,
from "Fables for the Frivolous"(~1905)

#72635 06/13/02 12:56 AM
G
old hand
old hand
G
Sick andTired:

While I can respect your desire for anonymity, I take umbrage with your suggestion that those of us who have remained are Keiva's acolytes. Some are his friends, some tolerate him, some ignore him, and some loathe him. For myself, I deplore his having insinuated taking legal action against Anu and/or Jackie, but do not loathe the person. I consider your overt defamation of several recent board members to be as reprehensable as anything I've seen published here, save that single aforementioned action on Keiva's part. This does not mean that I might not still have respect for you, since the right circumstances can make monsters of us all, myself included.

I recognize that most of my posts qualify as inane drivel, and admit that my intellect is inferior to most of the old-timers', and to many of the newcomers; nevertheless, I am one who revels in the exchange of ideas regarding language usage and etymology, and the amusing results that sometimes ensue . Where else, even now, can I go to find others who enjoy similar pursuits?

When Jackie left I believed that the heart and soul of AWAD had been ripped out, yet I've observed a new esprit de corps emerging from the rubble. It isn't what once was, and has not yet achieved the intellectual excellence of times past, but things ARE improving, in an amazingly short time, because of the dedicated actions of several of those whom you malign. I'll admit that I sorely miss Max, WordWind, Ted Remington, Faldage, AnnaStrophic, Sparteye, and the others, but we will persevere even in their absence. If you are one of the old timers who made this board some place special, won't you please resonsider your tactics and rejoin so that we of lower capacity or lesser experience may have the benefit of your knowledge? You don't have to like Keiva, or me, or the others, but we all have something to say that's worth hearing at times. Would you care to contribute something worth hearing?

Geoffrey Sanders
geoffs@hevanet.com
(503)771-7307

#72636 06/13/02 03:49 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
Geoff........allow me to fall at your feet. In fact I would've used your phone number but I wasn't sure it wasn't too late to do so.....

I don't know - I think your intellect is the match of anyone's here! - but whatever you THINK, your heart is certainly big, and in the right place.

To the OP: You've just illustrated - extremely well - what was wrong with the board. It was an elitist, snobby place. I've always despised people who deemed me inferior to them. I'm a fundamentalist egalitarian - until someone treats me like dirt. Then I realize that person is definitely NOT my equal: he or she is definitely a poor excuse for a human being.

Look at it any way you like - the bottom line is, we're all in this (the board, if you're here, whatever handle you go by - or the world in general) together. Learn and grow, accept or at least tolerate, forgive and offer forgiveness - or stop wasting space.

#72637 06/13/02 04:11 AM
E
E

#72638 06/13/02 04:27 AM
M
old hand
old hand
M
T'as raison, ewein. you are right

Goo!

#72639 06/13/02 05:11 AM
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
Well, now, I stand corrected. You people are absolutely right. This a free world (most of it), so let's not let those snobs on specialty sites tell US what constitutes intriguing and topical conversation.

Those blowhards like NicholasW, tsuwm, bingley, Faldage, Akatsukami, etc., don't have anything more enlightening to talk about than the rest of us. To hell with some silly idea of this being a language forum.

Now, I'm going to head over to the Vocabula Review and tell them about my first sexual experience. Say, and just for kicks, let's all find a nice astrophysics forum to meet up in--after all, what we have to say is important, too!

Thanks for setting me straight.

Aside to Geoff--you, among others including WordWind, wwh, etc., should know better than to think for a second that you would be counted among Keiva's acolytes. Likewise, I tried to be quite clear in suggesting that only MOST of what is being offered is not up to the standards of the "old guard", but certainly not ALL. Kudos to you for steadfastly fighting for what we once had here. Best of luck!

#72640 06/13/02 06:42 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
>It was an elitist, snobby place.

Those who think elitism a bad thing merely exult in their being in the low end of the gene pool.

The Lone Haranguer

The Lone Haranguer
#72641 06/13/02 06:53 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
<not up to the standards>

"I've upped my standards, now up yours!" - Pat Paulsen

The Lone Haranguer

The Lone Haranguer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,412
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 927 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,583
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,922
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith