Home What is an Anagram? Advanced Anagramming The Anagram Times Anagram Hall of Fame Anagram Animation Odds & Ends FAQ Search Contact Us
Finding Great AnagramsThe Internet Anagram Server helps, but finding relevant anagrams is a combination of art and science. You need to experiment to come up with superior anagrams. Here are some helpful tips:
And remember, if you torture words enough, they'll confess to anything.
- Limit the maximum number of words in each anagram.
- Try variations. Let's say you want to find anagrams for your friend Bill F. Rondeau. You may want to try various combinations of first, middle and last names as input strings, for example:
Bill F. Rondeau
William F. Rondeau
B. F. Rondeau
Bill Frederick Rondeau
William Frederick Rondeau
- Letters Q, Z, X, and J severely limit the number of anagrams. Try to remove them from the input, if possible.
- Try variant spellings. Examples:
Also, try synonyms.
- You can try adding text to the input to find more combinations.
For humans, you can add a title: Doctor, Dr, Mister, Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms, and so on.
For companies, you can add: Inc, LLC, Company, Corp, Corporation, and so on.
- Try expanding acronyms/abbreviations and vice versa. For example, if you want to find anagrams for IBM, here are a few possibilities to try:
Int'l Business Machines
International Business Machines
International Business Machines Corp
International Business Machines Corporation
- Try selecting the "Show candidate word list" option to see all the possible words. You can then decide which relevant word you want the anagrams to include and which words to exclude.
When you find a great anagram that you think deserves a place in one of the various sections here (Anagram Hall of Fame, The Anagram Times, Personal Anagrams, Anagrams in literature, movies, and beyond), feel free to email us. Please only send original anagrams.
If you have any suggestions for improvement, please drop us a line. Write to us at (words AT wordsmith.org).
What's New | About Us | Awards & Articles | Site Map | Contribute
Tips on Finding Great Anagrams | Uses of Anagrams | Anagram Checker
© 2013 Wordsmith