|About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us|
shellac (shuh-LAK) verb tr.
1. To coat or treat with varnish.
2. To defeat easily or decisively.
3. To strike repeatedly; batter.
1. Purified lac (a resinous substance secreted by the female of the lac insect) in the form of thin sheets.
2. Varnish made by dissolving this material in alcohol or other solvent.
3. A phonograph record made of this substance, played at 78 rpm.
[From shell + lac (translation of French laque en ecailles: lac in thin plates).]
"The other two competing nations in the Churchill are Argentina and the
United States, the latter shellacked 77-3 by Wales last week."
Lance Hornby; Wales Blows Past Canada; The Free Press (London, UK);
This week's theme: slang.
Fashion is something barbarous, for it produces innovation without reason and imitation without benefit. -George Santayana, philosopher (1863-1952)