Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic This week's theme - 01/25/07 01:13 PM
OK, we've got 4 of the 5 words and I still haven't figured it out.

livid
vim
vivid
dilli

Surely it isn't the obvious...
Posted By: Jackie Re: This week's theme - 01/25/07 01:39 PM
I can never get these...
Posted By: tsuwm Re: This week's theme - 01/25/07 01:52 PM
Quote:

I can never get these...

is that because they're always so obvious?!
-ron o.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: This week's theme - 01/25/07 04:14 PM
Please forgive an old fart's forgetfulness as I do remember that somebody had explained it, but who decides the week's theme and where is the button one pushes to learn what it is

Thanks all
Posted By: BranShea Re: This week's theme - 01/25/07 09:31 PM
Quote:

OK, we've got 4 of the 5 words and I still haven't figured it out.

Surely it isn't the obvious...

You mean the ripitition of thi i's and the fict that they are ill
wirds about vitility and inirgy ? Well dilli isn't totally willing to fit in completely, but what the..... Oops, had to make a little change as the encarta gave me a severe warning I might have been using a possible offensive word. Well, what do I know? I'm so glad I checked that out! Please change it in your email. What a dangerous place this is.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: This week's theme - 01/25/07 09:44 PM
not to belittle, but I have yet to see one of these that has anything to do with function -- it's always been about form.
Posted By: BranShea Re: This week's theme - 01/25/07 10:23 PM
Ach Tsuwm, the end of always always comes so all of a sudden .
Posted By: olly Re: This week's theme - 01/26/07 01:04 AM
Where do we send our answers to please?
Posted By: BranShea Re: This week's theme - 01/26/07 10:39 AM
Quote:

is that because they're always so obvious?!
-ron o.

I guess you are right after all. Can see nothing else but the absence of any other vowel but the i. ( ""but who am I",the proud lord said ")
Seems like for the moment always is still always .
And I like these little riddles anyway.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: This week's theme - 01/26/07 01:03 PM
Dale and Olly,

How did you find this board if you don't subscribe to A Word A Day?

Whatever -- every week Anu, or a guest, E-mails 5 words, one a day, on a certain theme. Usually he specifies the theme: eponyms, words from German, etc. This week, as occasionally happens, we have to guess the theme. If you don't subscribe to the E-mail you can find each word here:

http://wordsmith.org/words/today.html
Posted By: Jackie Re: This week's theme - 01/26/07 01:13 PM
Olly--in the WAD mailing, it says: What's common among the five words this week (livid, vim, vivid, dilli,
and immix)? If you know the answer, send it to (words AT wordsmith.org).

It's tricky to spot--I think Anu got tired of all the spam, so he quit putting the @.

Branny--hill isn't an offensive word.

tsuwm: phhhbbtt!
Posted By: dalehileman Re: This week's theme - 01/26/07 02:47 PM
Anna: Thank you for that link, to which I shall indeed subscribe

I am on pins and needles to learn the above commonality
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: This week's theme - 01/26/07 04:21 PM
That's not the subscription link, but you'll find it.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: This week's theme - 01/26/07 07:55 PM
Quote:

Dale and Olly,

Whatever -- every week Anu, or a guest, E-mails 5 words, one a day, on a certain theme. Usually he specifies the theme: eponyms, words from German, etc. This week, as occasionally happens, we have to guess the theme. If you don't subscribe to the E-mail you can find each word here:

http://wordsmith.org/words/today.html

Which is just as well, because my famously warm relationship with Mr Garg continues. I resubscribed nearly two weeks ago, and have so far received 4 AWAD wotd mails. I wonder how one says "plus ça change" in Marathi?
Posted By: dalehileman Re: This week's theme - 01/27/07 03:46 PM
Dale and Olly,

How did you find this board if you don't subscribe to A Word A Day?...

Whatever -- every week Anu, or a guest, E-mails 5 words, one a day, on a certain theme....

***Aha, it is becoming clearer. Under "immix," then, "mix, miscellaneous, meddle, medley, melee, promiscuous, and mustang" don't constitute the words of the week's theme, which one who skims might not realize at first glance

***This old codger on the brink of senility now perceives the tie between "this week's theme" and "today's word." It's apparent that in order to find all five words that constitute the week's theme, one has to first access Outlook (or whatever serves that function in his Operating System), selecting the Deleted Folder (or in whatever folder he places emails that he has read), then scan through the entries representing messages from AWAD for the week in question

***If he wished to consolidate all five in order to comment upon any possible connection, or whatever, he would then switch to Word, File, New, Blank document;, Ctrl+C Ctrl+C to obtain the x12 clipboard. Now he is in a position to return to Outlook, where he must individually highlight and Edit, then Copy each of the five words

***(yes, the repetition isn't a typo, you will thank me for this obscure means to consolidate words or phrases)

***Having accomplished their capture, he now returns to WS, where "Paste all" places the five in his followup window for contemplation of their interconnection

**Aren't you glad the bunch I mustn't call Admin for fear of violating a standard which I must not call protocol have made it so easy for us to cope with the New World of 0's and 1's

Again Anna, my most profound thanks for your patience in further conveying the ways of an icon I daren't specify for fear of being relegated to an obscure thread in a misnamed Forum clear at the bottom of our index; and keep up the good work!
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: This week's theme - 01/27/07 08:59 PM
Quote:

not to belittle, but I have yet to see one of these that has anything to do with function -- it's always been about form.

And indeed, again the theme is about form, but it sure wasn't obvious. At least not to me. Happy MMVII.
Posted By: BranShea Re: This week's theme - 01/27/07 09:18 PM
IVXLDM really cute! A nice one!
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: I KNEW IT ALL ALONG! He's the devil. - 01/27/07 09:56 PM
From googling it:
Quote:

Nostradamus [Archive] - Oprano Adult Industry Forums
Interestingly the six most used Roman numerals were IVXLDM which sum to 666.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: I KNEW IT ALL ALONG! He's the devil. - 01/27/07 10:49 PM
>Interestingly the six most used Roman numerals were IVXLDM which sum to 666.

two things about this:
1) D used more than C?
2) IVXLDC sum to 666; M is 1000??
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: I KNEW IT ALL ALONG! He's the devil. - 01/27/07 10:54 PM
Quote:

two things about this:
1) D used more than C?

To quote someone paraphrasing someone else somewhere else: " you lot would nitpick ANYTHING to death."
Posted By: themilum Re: I KNEW IT ALL ALONG! He's the devil. - 01/29/07 02:23 AM
Quote:

two things about this:
1) D used more than C?

Duh.
tsuwm, you forget. The "M" stands for 1000 or "mysterium".
Remove the "mysterium" by subtracting 1000 and we have the mystery revealed - 666- the mark of the beast.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: I KNEW IT ALL ALONG! He's the devil. - 01/29/07 02:52 AM
Quote:

Quote:

two things about this:
1) D used more than C?

Duh.
tsuwm, you forget. The "M" stands for 1000 or "mysterium".
Remove the "mysterium" by subtracting 1000 and we have the mystery revealed - 666- the mark of the beast.

d'oh. C wasn't included, Milo, so you're left with 1566, or by your math 566 (which I believe is the mark of Bugs Bunny).
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: nrwn qsr - 01/29/07 04:32 AM
the mark of Bugs Bunny

Of course, I ain't much into number-loggy, but the mark of the beast is sometimes XIC (in Greek, or 616) rather than DCLXVI (in Latin, or 666). See Some Recently Published NT Papyri From Oxyrhynchus: An Overview and Preliminary Assessment by Peter M Head (2000).
Posted By: Faldage Re: nrwn qsr - 01/29/07 11:58 AM
Quote:

the mark of the beast is sometimes XIC (in Greek, or 616)

Xpictos IeCous?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: IHC - 01/29/07 01:26 PM
Xpictos IeCous?

X = 600; I = 10; C = 6.
Posted By: olly Re: This week's theme - 01/29/07 09:06 PM
Quote:

Thank you. I do subscribe but for some reason when I glanced through I didn't spot the words@wordsmith.org. This brings to mind a point to share. At 5am I am sound asleep counting Sixty million sheep in New Zealand while everyone in the U.S. is discussing the next word which I haven't recieved yet!
Posted By: Zed Re: This week's theme - 01/30/07 12:10 AM
Try counting just 30 or 40 sheep. No wonder you've just fallen sound asleep at 5 am if you had to count all 60 million everynight.
Posted By: olly Re: This week's theme - 01/30/07 03:02 AM
I should count the sheep when I'm awake as well rather than counting them when I'm asleep.
Posted By: dalehileman Re: This week's theme - 01/30/07 06:32 PM
A most kind, helpful, patient, and tactful contributor has brought to my attention in a private message something I've probably been told before somewhat less endearingly but owing to my imminent senility I had forgotten, and that was the "today's word" button clear at the bottom of the index

Evidently today's is "chatoyant," a Type-3 word for Type-1, "cat's eye"; Type-2, "iridescent"; or "shimmering" somewhere inbetween

The first is recognized by neither Bill Gates nor Google's spellcheck although I readily concede both were compiled by and for morons

Forgive me Bill, but I do love you for your amicable demeanor and charitable works
Posted By: tsuwm Re: This week's theme - 02/01/07 02:49 AM
I just (re)discovered the word hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia in my wwftd backlog.

I can't imagine why I haven't used it yet..
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: This week's theme - 02/01/07 03:00 AM
Quote:

I just (re)discovered the word hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia in my wwftd backlog.

Placed properly, it would no doubt get you a helluva lot more than 666 pts in scrabble, na?
Posted By: Faldage Re: This week's theme - 02/01/07 03:05 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Placed properly, it would no doubt get you a helluva lot more than 666 pts in scrabble, na?

I dunno. Do you get extra points for slopping off the edges of the board?
© Wordsmith.org