It was really refreshing to hear that charming old name again.

Yep Rhu, I know a baby Daisy (and a baby Sally, dode ). But I reckon "non-traditional" names [in the general sense of names lacking history] aren't ever all that popular in the UK. They tend to be seen as the preserve of celebrities. It's also generally considered that the celebs are welcome to newly-coined names, and that their kids are to be pitied somewhat for having to live with their parents' whimsy and originality.

Here's a list of the most popular UK baby names in 2001, which for the most part proves my point:
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/general/547642.html

I notice that my 5-year-old son's name (Joshua/Josh) has climbed right up to number 3 in the chart, and I'll bet my 3-year-old daughter's name (Phoebe) moves further up from number 40 over the next few years. At least in the UK, names certainly do go in cycles, and parents' choices are strongly dictated by the flow whether they realise it or not.

I've always been delighted with my own name, though - Adam. In my entire life I've met less than five or so Adams; I know of a fair few more than that, but it's still less than a dozen. Despite this pretty reasonable level of originality, hardly anybody has ever misspelt my name, and as a bonus it is truly cross-cultural.

People are starting to wake up to the name now, though - I've been called by two mothers (of toddlers) in the last month, which suggests a worrying trend.

Incidentally my second name, and my grandad's first, is - I think - quite a good one: Leon.