Or perhaps, more sinisterly, it is merely an attempt to exert direct control over a large percentage of the world’s petroleum reserves.

Yup...unfortunately, just "follow the oil"...that's what it's been about for decades, and has now reached critical crescendo with this current administration. And whether you support Bush or not, you have to admit that broadcasting your war plans for months in advance isn't the stuff that "hands-on" leadership is made of...I thought, at the beginning, that, at least, Dubya had assembled some knowledgeable, savvy, experienced people behind him...but now, like Chemeng, I'm seriously doubting the competence of this administration, and in the face of the current world situation, that's doubly scary. Interior squabbling may be a big part of that (I don't think they planned on Colin Powell exerting his more moderate positions to the degree he is), but it's still no excuse. Cheney is now effectively muted because of his ties to Big Oil and the corporate scandals (and his own shady business dealings). Condoleeza Rice, who weighs-in heavily on foreign policy, is an expert on the old Soviet Union...what's the relevance to what we're facing now?...(and she was also once an oil executive, BTW). And why isn't Bin Laden dead or behind bars, huh? I figured 3 months, tops, once the shooting started over in Afghanistan. But, now, I really believe they're just exploiting this whole horrible situation for the oil interests...how utterly wretched and abysmal. Even Afghanistan ...ENRON and others wanted a pipeline across the east of that country to rich new oil rich fields in the mountains above it, and in order to achieve that deal they needed a stable government in Afghanistan, ANY stable government. And the Taliban decided to stop playing ball, so it was very convenient to install another (and where is Bin Laden?)...Oil Domino #1. And, of course, Saddam's embargo on oil exports from Irag, one of the largest oil reservoirs in the world...Oil Domino #2. And I suspect that Somalia, with their newly discovered oil fields, will be #3. Oil Wars under the mask of September 11th?...it's revolting. Covert special forces can take out Saddam, if it's so crucial...what's the hesitation?...so why is a major war necessary?