>Being not so mild, I found the whole lot to be a poorly >argued and tendentious pile of crap

thank you for telling this I was afraid to do so as an outsider. although I am not so cathegoric about the speech - I appreciate this fine example of English language - but I do not like throwing together poor Polish singers and American soldiers that are paid to do their job. I wonder how much money the author gave to those who were defending the precious civilization.

I remember signing a petition about the situation of women in Afganistan ruled by Taliban: they were publicly stoned to death, schools for girls were closed, women - doctors and University lecturers were forced to leave their jobs.
This was happening two years ago and nobody in US Government ever reacted to this although equal rights for women is one of the latest achievements of the Western Civilization.

if US fights with something this "something" is immediately an enemy of Western Civilization, although yesterday the same "something" could have been "fighters for freedom of their country" against "the Evil".
The Muslim terrorists were grown up by US against USSR and they were "good guys" while invading Tadzhikistan and helping the rebels in Chechnya. The attitude had been changed in one day.