Well, I realise that I probably haven't the slightest right to add my comments to this as I have been noticeable only by my absence for some considerable length of time, but I'm hoping you'll bear with me. (Apologies to one and all - I've been watching/reading, it's just that life's been rather hectic and something had to give) However, the nature of the daily announcements that have been arriving in my inbox made me feel that I should break my silence - if only for the selfish reason of wanting to see the board survive.

One of the things that's always struck me about this board is a) how welcoming people are and b) how people are willing to wade in when things start to get out of control - which has happened in the past, been stopped and the board's moved on.

I'm stressing the 'board's moved on' bit, 'cause I think it's really important. If we just let the recriminations go on, then the person/persons involved win. We need to learn from what's passed and let the subject drop off the board before it can put anyone off from joining in the future.

Hopefully those involved have learned from and been chastened by the whole-hearted condemnation of their actions. If anything were done unintentionally then maybe they'll think before they hit 'post' next time. Those who were offended will hopefully have been heartened by the support they have received. It seems to me that continuing the debate can only keep re-opening the wound and leaves us open to further misunderstandings.

There comes a time in any friendship when things have been said. If that friendship is strong enough you talk about it and put it behind you. Agreed, sometimes you have to re-build the trust but if the friendship is strong enough, you do it.

So, time to move on?