>Chip butties, bacon butties, jam butties, cheese butties, ham butties ...

Amazing, you don't get chance to look for a few days and you're all off again! Maybe Bel is right and the chip buttie does have religious significance. It has always been claimed by Manchester (although Liverpool, see below, could just as easily claim it) and I really wouldn't be surprised if it was served up on a Friday to those who couldn't afford fish and chips (y'all know that chips are fries and crisps are chips).

Food thread items:There was a discussion on the radio yesterday about the role of high fat foods (like dripping) in the days when people expended more energy in their daily lives - these days people eat just as much fat, it is just hidden in processed foods.

The buttie bit is easy - it just relates to the bread and butter, although where I came from a buttie would always be a single piece of bread (white sliced!) folded with a filling inside, rather than a sandwich which tends to have two slices piled on top of each other and cut. It is especially important in a chip buttie, otherwise the chips and melted butter ooze out. A large bread roll or barm cake (Manchester) is even better, although for me a chip buttie is now a luxury food reserved for very rare moments of comfort deficit.

Interestingly Jackie isn't the only person in Louisville with an encyclopaedic knowledge of Brit speak:

Butty: a sandwich, i.e., buttered bread.
Source: LS2,SL
http://www.louisville.edu/~tavan001/MerseytalkB.html