The back of a station wagon is just that - the back! It gets the wanky wank name of "cargo area" in the glossy brochures. And Jackie - you DO put things IN the tray.

Roo bars tend to be known as Bull Bars in the outback - because there are bulls (and camels and horses and donkeys) to be avoided out there. Worked with a Canadian once who couldn't work out why we bothered with all this ironmongery on our vehicles - after all, "none of those guys is as big as a moose and we don't put those bars on our trucks in Canada". I think he had a good point!! Guess if you see a moose on the road you just kiss your ass (donkey?) goodbye.

The ledge behind the seats is the "package tray" in the eastern states of Oz and the "parcel shelf" in WA. Interestingly, there was a factory accessory for my 1964 restoration project known as a parcel shelf. Had me puzzled until I saw a photo - they bolted on underneath the glove box in front of the front seat passenger. Must've confused the Western Australians at the time!

Incidentally, what you US'ns call the trunk is what we call the boot.

By golly - we've come a long way from the taste of water on this one!! Sorry Xara.

stales