A number of you have posted descriptions of ceremonies, rallies, and other formal public or semi-public remembrances or memorial services, which have moved and heartened me, particularly that of IP (thanks very much for that, IP). I would like to see more. Maybe we could use this thread to describe some of what we ourselves have witnessed or participated in.

For my part, this morning's church service was one of the most moving I have ever attended, also one of the most difficult to get through. As I may have mentioned along the way here, my church is the Cathedral of the Episcopal (Anglican) Diocese of Maryland. I sing in the choir. An email went out from the choirmaster on Wed. announcing that everyone needed to be at choir practice on time Thursday evening and be prepared to stay late, as most of the music that had been planned, and practiced earlier, for Sunday (today) had been changed. We learned a new anthem and several new hymns.

This morning all arrived earlier than usual for final rehearsal. The pews were already nearly full as the organist played the Barber Adagio for Strings, many people weeping. The choir (45 strong, biggest ever) processed down the aisle, not with a hymn, but ringing handbells and chanting. Following special prayers, in lieu of the Gloria the choir sang the anthem we had learned Thursday, a section of the Faure requiem. The lessons were appropriate to the occasion, Ps. 23, readings from Micah and Revelations and St. Luke. By this time people were sitting in extra benches and folding chairs in the aisles and on the steps to the baptistry and basement. There were more people there than on Easter or Christmas and many with children of all ages. While communion was being taken, our best soprano soloist sang Pie Jesu also from the Faure Requiem, and immediately on finishing dissolved in tears in the arms of the asst. organist.

There were good hymns, a challenging and consoling sermon frm the Dean, but the end was a masterpiece. The choir recessed, everyone singing God the Omnipotent (which goes to the tune of the old Russian natl. hymn) and then went down the two side aisles, grouping ourselves into quartettes, standing on both sides of the congregation. Following the dismissal, where the postlude would normally come, the organist sounded a chord and the choir sang America the Beautiful a cappella, in harmony, at a rather deliberate tempo, a bit slower than usual. That we started, stopped and stayed together was a miracle, since we couldn't see the choirmaster. The congregation tried to sing, but few could, most having tears running down their faces. Most of the choir, myself included, managed to sing about half maybe, being choked up the other half of the time, but not everyone at the same time, so there was even sound all the way through. The whole service was one of the most beautiful and moving things I have ever heard or attended and did me a world of good.