Inselpeter responded: The only reason I can think of that the Israelis would attack the United States would be to engage this country in all-out war in the Middle East thereby destroying their adversaries.

Come on, IP, I can think of several reasons why they may wish to more firmly bind the US to them which would fall short of wanting to engineer all-out war in the region. Amd the Mossad have a lot more influence in Israel than the CIA does in the US, or at least that's my understanding.

While not beyond the scope of possibility, I find it hard to contemplate and also that the suggestion insinuates an incredible evil to that government. *Perhaps, if the country's very existence were threatened..but it is not.

I offer you two items to consider: 1. Ariel Sharon is the ultimate hawk and none of his Arab neighbours will trust him as far as they can kick him. Witness the breakdown in real dialogue between the Israelis and the Palestinians (although, yes, it's relative, but symbols are important). And 2., of course Israel's existence is threatened. That has never changed. The fluid nature of politics in the area has that as a constant.

As to the Saudis, I cannot imagine what possible motive a regime that is at pains to keep power in the face of fundamentalist movements could have to so destabilize the politics of the region.

No, no, IP, the exact opposite. The Saudis are under threat from within and without by fundamentalists. What better response, then, than to have the Americans come in, as they have done before, and do their dirty work for them?

But please note, I merely put these up as straw men. I don't necessarily think that the argument holds any water. I just wanted people to think a little further outside the square.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...