it may prove out in the long run that these acts were those of a determined band of *independantly organized fanatics

tsuwm has expressed (better that I could have) my fears since the beginning of this ordeal. What if the madmen were not a vast organization of Islamic terrorists, but just a small group of fanatics? What if there is no one left to retaliate against? What if by attacking "major" terrorists or the nations that support them we are simply doing just what those behind the attacks wanted us to do?

I sincerely hope that the powers that be are considering this possibility, and are considering the fact that the very leads they are following may be falsely laid tracks leading away from the truth. If you were hijacking a plane, would you leave your car in the airport parking lot with flight instruction manuals and videos in your trunk (as has reportedly been found in Boston)?

I also hope that I am just being overly conspiracy-minded, and that we will find other people responsible for the destruction and punish them with "terrible fury" (in the words of Vermont Senator Patrick Leahy).

I am so glad Helen and Inselpeter are well, and my thoughts and love go out to all of those in NYC, Washington and all over the world who have suffered a personal loss.