<<Whitman>>

There is time enough to pause, laugh, after all the days tears, a small miracle in the midst of all the horror. I know, Whitman, all of us are in terrible pain. Those of us here and elsewhere. The heart you all have extended us, I extend my heart to you.

I would like to tell you all how wonderful the state and municipal governments have been. I have never been a fan of Giulianni's, but he has been incredible. Everything is very well organized. If there is a military presence, it is not on the street. All the civil control is in the hands of the police, from what I've seen, and they've done a fantastic job. The firefighters have suffered terrible losses. There is an entirely new company in the firehouse around the corner, and new equipment. Flowers pile up in front of it, and candles. These women and man are truly valient, carrying on in the face of everything. And, for the most part, the citizenry has banded together.

Thank all of you for being all right about my going on. You have been a great help.