Usage/Ukage/Ausage is an attempt to share information on differences between all the different versions of English (Sorry CK, I couldn't quite see how to fit Zild or others into the pattern). This board throws up examples all the time of words in local use, but I was wondering about words and phrases which have opposite meanings, or meanings so different as to cause embarrassment (and therefore amusing to the onlooker ). I know of a few, but would like to hear of more. My understanding of the below may be incorrect so please correct me if I am wrong. I am also interested to know which side of the divide any bystanders may fall.

moot point:
US: A point not worth discussing
UK: An important and undecided point

table a motion:
US: to put an agenda item aside for (much) later discussion (in UK this would be to "shelve a motion".
UK: to bring the agenda item before the committee.

Durex:
UK: As Hover=Vacuum cleaner so Durex=condom
Aus: Durex = Sellotape (Uk) = Scotchtape (US)
(visions of Australians asking for a reel of Durex in UK, or pomms in Sydney having to "roll their own" )

Rubber:
UK: An eraser
US: Condom

My wife's elderly aunt claims she was in a stationers in US and called out across the shop to her daughter already at the till "Wait, I've just found the pencils I was looking for, with the rubbers on the end in the shape of Mickey Mouse and Pluto"

Others? Corrections?

Rod