I guess I rail against lawyers as much as anyone else. You know, rapacious, unethical, all that sort of thing. And this in spite of having two lawyers who are close friends. I can't resist lawyer jokes. On the other hand, they can never resist jokes about IT and IT professionals either, so I guess we're even-stevens on that one.

However, my overall view of the legal profession was probably coloured somewhat by an incident at a formal dinner I went to many years ago. It was a Law Society do, and there was quite a large number of lawyers - and judges - at it, all merrily throwing large quantities of quality hooch down their necks.

One of the more attractive female lawyers was both well-endowed at chest level and wearing a halter neck dress that was secured behind her neck with a bow. She was seated between two judges, one High Court and the other an SM (stipendiary magistrate). I was sitting opposite and along to the side a little. After about an hour, the High Court judge got up to go to the little boys' room and as he walked pass our lady lawyer, he pulled the end of the bow. Down came the top of the dress. I have to admit that although she was clearly annoyed, she handled it with considerable sang froid, pulling the top up and retying the bow. However, when the SM got up and did the same thing, she was clearly very annoyed. She did her top up again, this time with a knot. But she didn't say a word.

I've never gone to a Law Society do again, although I've had frequent invites. Now, what was the point of this? I've forgotten. Ah yes, Wow's story about silver service.

Anyway, form your own opinions (as I'm sure you will).

The idiot also known as Capfka ...