Or do them on line-- NY Times used to charge for the Crossword--now it is free, but with a catch-- you can't print it or save it-- but if you'd like to try it its a good way to start
I do them in ink, a mix of caps and lower cases-- and unlike AnnaS, i have finished the Sunday Times puzzle-- but never have tried timing it-- i would guess my best time is serveal hours-- i tend to work at it-- get stumped-- go off and do somthing, come back and the answer is staring me in the face! And it a rare thing for me to complete it ( yesterdays 50% done) I am up to about completing the Sunday puzzle once in a month.

I only started doing Cross words 10 years ago-- I still have to have scrap paper for the down answers-- i can't spell well to begin with, and spelling down is beyond me once the word is more than 5 letter long! In this morning puzzle i had 6 letters of a 7 letter word, and still couldn't figure it out till i wrote it horizontally!

I like math puzzles-- and i can sometimes look at them and solve them, or at least understand the solution-- like Jackie and her success with crypics-- but cryptics? i don't even under stand the answers when i look at the puzzle solved!